Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Wood-Staining Success Story!

Here are the frames I made for James’s place last week!  I think they turned out pretty well.  I started out by using Rust-Oleum’s Driftwood wood stain, which I painted on with a brush and then rubbed off with paper towels.  I went through a lot of paper towels – sorry Mom, I probably owe you a roll.  It was a little lighter and greyer than I had pictured, so I ended up finding a partially-used can of a dark mahogany stain in the garage and mixing a little bit of that in with some Driftwood for the second coat.  I probably experimented too much, because if you’ll notice the frames are all slightly different in tone from each other, but I think it works pretty well! 
The finished product!

Close up of what the finish looks like

Our prototype of the gallery wall.  I have to say, this works way better than just randomly sticking nails in the wall and hoping the pictures  look okay. (Not that I've ever done that before or anything.)

The picture frames up in their new home!  They're all filled with photos, too, except for the 8x10s.  I'll get him to snap a pic once there are actually pictures in there to show you guys! 
*Note: Right before this step in the process, I suffered a devastating injury -- I sustained a second-degree burn to my pointer finger from a Pop-Tart.  So every bit of nailing and frame-hanging was done by the handsome guy who lives here, who deserves all the credit for this!

Close-up of the frames in their new home! 

I've made a little progress on my room this week! Keep an eye out tomorrow for a post on my new mirror and how the window film applying experiment turned out! 

xoxo,
allison

No comments:

Post a Comment