Saturday, January 4, 2014

January Goals: Master Bedroom

Hello, friends! During January, I'm tackling my master bedroom.  As promised, here are some "before" pictures, along with my list of goals for the month!
 View from the bedroom door. My friend Christen made me that painting when I moved in; isn't it awesome? She even sneakily found the exact shade of grey paint I used to paint the walls and used that to make it!

 Fireplace and my two (tiny) closets on the left wall.

 Dresser full of clutter and a window (used to be a door in a previous life) on the right wall.  Note the weird space above the door -- it used to be a transom, I think, but is now covered over with wood and looks awkward. 

 One of my overstuffed closets.

 Left nightstand

 Right nightstand. 


Closet door that doesn't close (isn't that fun!) and my awkward shoe rack.

GOALS FOR THE MASTER BEDROOM:
1. Hem the curtains on the windows behind my bed.  I have two sets of curtains on these windows -- one set of "blackout" panels and the decorative ones on top, both hung by tension rods.  They are both about 4-5 inches too long for the windows, and right now I just have them kind of bunched up on the window sill. Which means they never hang right.  I have a sewing machine, so I should be able to knock this project out in an hour or so. 

2. Put energy-saving window film on the windows behind my bed.  Apparently in 1928 glass was a lot thinner than it is today or something, because all of my windows are sealed shut and I swear the cold wind just blows straight through these onto my face while I'm sleeping.  I found some insulating window film at Home Depot that would have cost $50-60 with the "installation kit" you had to buy with it, but then I looked on Amazon and found a different kind for $10 that actually got pretty good reviews.  You are supposed to somehow use a hair dryer to seal it to the windows.  I figure for $10 it's worth a shot, right? I ordered it with Prime, so it should be here by Tuesday.

3. Find something to put in the weird little space above the awkward door/window. Framed picture? Something? I don't know. 
Hello, empty white plywood.  
Also, the blinds are a little too short.  That's a story for another day.

4. Do something with the fireplace. I know I want to rearrange the mantel because the stuff on there right now is kind of blah.  The actual fireplace, which is non-working, is too shallow to put much in, but I would like at least something to distract from the crumbly stones. 

5. Get rid of some clothes.  Okay, a LOT of clothes.  This one's pretty self-explanatory. 

6. Figure out something to do with my shoes.  They currently take up the floor in one closet, a door rack on a closet door, and a random shoe rack in the middle of my floor.  I have a shoe problem.  Obviously I plan to go through and get rid of some (hopefully while I'm also working on #5), but I'm brainstorming ways to store the remaining pairs that are slightly prettier than what I've got going on now. 
Fun fact: this closet door does not close because the latch doesn't work. Yay!

7. Give the nightstands and their drawers some organization and purpose. Right now the shelves are just random piles of books, and the drawers have things in them but are not organized well or used to their full potential. 

8. Get matching lampshades for my two white lamps.  I just bought the second lamp base the other day.  I think the two bases coordinate well but I hate the plain white cone-shaped lampshade on the old lamp, so I want to get two drum shades that are the same as each other to put on each base.  Maybe something with a gray and white pattern, or even a solid color.


9. Put up the 3-4 picture frames I have laying around.  And actually put pictures in them. 

10. Move full-length mirror from hallway into bedroom.  In addition, find a mirror to go above the dresser.  I may possibly do a smaller-sized mirror clustered with a few photo frames around it instead of a traditional dresser mirror.   Since I will have the full-length mirror in here I don't necessarily need a huge mirror to be functional, but I want the wall above the dresser to look interesting. 

11. Put a bed skirt on my bed. I had/have one of these somewhere; I washed it a few months ago, it ripped a hole, and I never put it back on.  I need to either repair it or find a new one. 

I'm sure I will think of some more things to do as I go along, but I feel like this is a pretty good start!  Stay tuned for more updates and some pictures. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

xoxo,
allison


1 comment:

  1. Love all the ideas!! :-) Maybe also paint the fireplace mantle...a matching yellow or a nice brick red...

    ReplyDelete